Light and healthy potato, carrot and onion soup simmered cooked in a flavorful Japanese Bonita Flake broth.
- Potato (2 large, 1 inch chunks)
- Carrot (3 stalks)
- Onion (1 medium, diced)
- Scallion (2 stalks)
- Japanese Bonita Flakes (1 cup)
- Soy Sauce (2 tablespoons)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Water (14 cups)
Ingredients you will need:
Japanese Bonita Flakes:
1) In a large pot, add 14 cups of water. Add 1 cup of Bonita Flakes. Place lid and turn flame to high. Once water starts to boil, lower the flame and simmer cook Bonita Flakes for 10 minutes so all of the flavor seeps into the broth.
2) After cooking broth for 10 minutes, broth should be a tan brown. Then take a spoon colander and scoop out all of the cooked Bonita Flakes and throw away (make sure you get all of the Bonita Flakes). Add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of salt.
3) Peel and slice your vegetables. Slice potato into 1 inch cubes and carrot into about 1/2 inch round, and dice the onion.
4) In broth with soy sauce and salt, add all of your vegetables. Place lid and turn flame high. Once broth starts to boil, then lower flame to medium heat and simmer cook vegetables for 15 minutes. All of the vegetables should be soft.
5) Dice scallions.
6) Place soup in bowl and add fresh scallions and serve with rice.